To read news articles related to Windy Edge please click here.
9 Turbines at 2.5MW capactiy each
Total Generating Capacity = 22.5MW
Height to blade tip = 125m
Rotor diameter = 90m
Hub Height = 80m
Muirhall Energy acquired Windy Edge wind farm from Infinis in July 2017.
Planning permission for the Windy Edge Wind Farm was approved by the Scottish Government’s Directorate for Planning and Environmental Appeals on the 9th June 2016. This followed an appeal lodged by Infinis in September 2015 afer the Scottish Borders Council Planning Committee refused planning permission for the nine turbine scheme in June 2015.
The original Windy Edge Wind Farm design consisting of 17 turbines at a maximum tip height of 121.5m, (except turbines 1, 5, 6 and 13 which had tip heights of up to 111.5m) was submitted to Scottish Borders Council (SBC) in June 2013.
Following comments from statutory consultees including SBC, Scottish Natural Heritage, Historic Scotland and the general public, changes were made to the application. The changes to the proposed development were progressed by way of a variation of the existing planning applicaiton, pursuant to section 32a of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997. The changes included:
Environmental Statement Addendum in 2014:
- Removal of the nine turbines that formed the eastern array of the wind farm
- Revision of the turbine layout for the western array
- Addition of one further turbine into the western array
- Increase in height of the turbines to 125m to blade tip
- Relocation of the anemometry mast in the western array
- The revised layout is now for nine turbines
Further environmental information in 2015 included:
- Reduction in tip height of turbines 1, 2 and 4 from 125m to 110m